Last updated 14 May 2019 – see all updates
- 1. Principal facts and numbers
- 2. By ethnicity
- 3. Methodology
- 4. Information sources
- 5. Down load the info
1. Principal facts and numbers
- In line with the 2011 Census, ladies and girls made 51% regarding the populace of England and Wales, and men and men made 49%
- Many cultural groups had approximately the same male and female populations
- There clearly was a bigger feminine than male population in the Chinese, Black Caribbean and Other White ethnic groups, where ladies and girls composed 53% for the particular populations
- There is a bigger male than feminine population into the Arab ethnic team, where males and men made 58% associated with the populace, and among those who recognized as some other ethnicity (54% males and guys)
The Census is planned and performed because of the working office for National Statistics (ONS) any ten years in England and Wales. The Census that is last was in March 2011.
The Census could be the survey that is only offer reveal picture of the entire populace of England and Wales. It creates it possible to compare some other part of the nation as all households are expected exactly the same concerns inside the same time frame.
For the 2011 Census, around 25 million pre-addressed questionnaires were published off to all or any households utilizing a specially developed nationwide target register. Households could get back their questionnaire by post or complete it on the web. Census workers delivered questionnaires by hand to individuals located in domestic care domiciles, hospitals, hostels, boarding schools, college halls of residence, mobile house areas, armed forces bases along with other public establishments.
94% of households finished the 2011 Census. Of these, 97% responded the concern about ethnicity.
This information stops working the populace of England and Wales by ethnicity and intercourse. The split between women/girls and men/boys is shown for every cultural team.
The Census is held in England and Wales every a decade to get information on everybody located in the nation on a date that is specific.
The census offers the only way to obtain straight comparable statistics both for little areas and minority populace teams across England and Wales.
The data the Census provides permits central and town, health authorities and several other organisations to prepare housing, training, health insurance and transport solutions for many years to come.
The Census runs on the set that is standard of teams to gather and classify ethnicity information.
The 2011 Census utilized 18 standardised cultural groups:
Asian / Asian British:
- Any other Asian background
Ebony / African / Caribbean / Ebony British:
- Virtually any Ebony / african Caribbean that is/ back ground
Mixed / Multiple ethnic teams:
- Mixed White and Ebony Caribbean
- Mixed White and Black African
- Mixed White and Asian
- Some other Mixed / Multiple cultural history, please describe
- English / Welsh / Scottish / Northern Irish / British
- Gypsy or Irish Traveller
- Some other White background, please describe
Other cultural team:
- Every other group that is ethnic
2. By ethnicity